Wednesday, August 14, 2013

BACK TO BASICS! RECIPE FOR RAW DRESSING...AND AN EXTREME MAKEOVER!


Hi Again :-)

Back to blogging!

Just got home from work as 'Creative Chef' at Raw Can Roll Cafe in Devon, PA.

www.purefoodandbody.com
My legs felt ALOT better today.

Today was the third day off of added salt and back to a more wholesome basic diet.


MARGARET
I'm working with Margaret, a Lifestyle Coach, associated with Dr. Arcilla (www.DrArcilla.com).  Dr. Arcilla runs the mostly raw retreat I went to last winter.

Margaret is helping me to reconnect with a lot of the principles I learned at the Better Living Lifestyle Center. Specifically and most importantly, she has been encouraging me daily to reconnect spiritually first and foremost to overcome binge eating and lose weight.

It is feeling so right and good and finally I see a change in behavior after 2 weeks of praying for one.

Things kind of came to a head on Monday, when I could barely bend my knees.

After 3 days of improved diet and drastically reduced salt, I have let go of a fair amount of water retention, and am feeling much better, and much more energetic!  Thank you, Margaret, for your continued support and encouragement!


A NEW BOOK - ALWAYS SEARCHING, ALWAYS LEARNING

Margaret gifted me an Encylopedia on Natural Healing (link coming in future blog) that has been incredibly insightful and so helpful in lassoing my recent mostly out-of-control-vegetarian-sometimes-salmon-eating diet...into it's present whole foods vegan shape.

For the last 3 days, it looks like this: 
  • raw veggies
  • green smoothies
  • raw fruit, low glycemic fruit best (berries, apples, etc...)
  • raw nuts and seeds
  • 2 Tbsp daily uncooked oil - flaxseed oil, e.e.v.o. and coconut oil, unheated
  • steamed veggies
  • cooked beans 
  • whole grains ONLY (steel cut oats, brown rice, quinoa, barley, etc.)
  • no added sugar, honey, agave
  • no added salt
  • no bread, even whole wheat, no white foods like crackers, white rice, no processed foods or veggie burgers
Please pray for me and send loving, positive energy for my success!



BINGE EATING ANGLE

I feel like I have a new understanding of why I binge, to boot.

At the most basic level, my out of control destructive behavior means that I am not connected to God, my "Higher Power," Source, etc..., or I'm not allowing Him to take charge of me.  Being in connection with God and receiving His Grace (through daily prayer, reading spiritually uplifting material) (and with Margaret's prayers, daily text support and bi-weekly meetings) has enabled me to effortlessly again put aside the worst part of me, the out of control binge eater, and to allow the strong, capable winner to succeed.  That energy / ability is always there. It just feels like it dissappears when I'm not "connected" and God is not in control of me.  We are pure ENERGY RECEIVERS and we're either being controlled by bad or good.

It's only 3 days, but I'm off to a promising start with my eating back under control, and my walking regiment back on track.

The Natural Healing Encyclopedia also explains that most overeating and binge eating is caused by undernourishment.  A loaf of bread and butter may stuff me, but it's a processed white meal that's depleted in minerals and vitamins and will have me back to the kitchen looking for more, more and more, soon enough.

The proof is in the pudding.  Better food, less cravings and binge eating.  Worse food, more cravings and binge eating.    

What's more, the Encyclopedia rightly states that vegetables eaten in their RAW state are BEST for the obese. Mind you, this is NOT a RAW book, so the advice seems to impact more coming from a source non partial to raw food.

And the book stresses that anything PROCESSED is just too lacking in nutrition for the malnourished obese binge eater.  Bye bye boxed veggie burgers and bread....

This information actually confirms WHY I had my best success so far (for 3.5 years as a raw foodist on all raw veggies and no processed food), and why I had my 2nd biggest success all of those years ago in OA H.O.W., maintaining a 140 lb weight loss, eating a whole foods diet with whole grain Wasa crackers, and oatmeal, and huge raw salads, and fruit multiple times a day, and brown rice, and no sugar and nothing white.

It makes sense now WHY the times I've had success, I've had success.  Higher quality food, higher quality life.

Now, hopefully, with God in my court, I can go all the way!


MEET MIKE EPSTEIN - 

415 lbs TO 195 lbs in ONE YEAR!
Watching Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition Tuesday night revved my motivation engine even further!  If Mike Epstein, a fellow East Coast Jew from New Jersey, can do it, so can I.  

weight loss
Mike Epstein - 415 lbs to 195 lbs in ONE YEAR!!!!


Watch Mike's amazingly inspirational episode here: http://watchabc.go.com/extreme-weight-loss/SH55124938/VDKA0_qtfcjtr3/mike



WHAT TODAY LOOKED LIKE

I'm off for my daily walk!  30 mins a day every evening is a good start to creating a routine.

Breakfast: 1/2 cup dry steel cut oats cooked.  1 cup fresh raw blueberries.  Large green smoothie with kale, almond milk, mango, orange, banana.

NOTE: Much more satiating than the Starbucks bagel and cream cheese and large sweetened tea habit as of late. No nagging cravings or sudden binges later with the oatmeal/fruit/green smoothie starting my day.     

Lunch: big romaine salad w/carrot, tomato, onion, cucumber and a delicious raw dressing.

NOTE: That dressing was SO GOOD, I ate what was pooled in the bottom of the bowl....with a spoon!  Recipe below!

Dinner: small can of chick peas rinsed thoroughly, cup of Bob's Red Mill TVP, leftover veggie salad dressed in lemon and flax oil.

NOTE: It was a BIG MEAL.  I was STARVING, and it was HEARTY and FILLING and DELICIOUS and NUTRITIOUS and I feel satiated still 3 hours later. 


MORE...
I am averting my eyes for the moment as to the question of the healthfulness of grains (mucous causing? inflammatory?).  Life is a journey and I'm okay with this beginning leg of my trip.

I'm also back to following hunger/fullness.  It's the only thing that makes logical sense.  That said, I must remember: the more water one drinks, the less hungry one is!

The Health Encyclopedia also gave several interesting ideas of how to curb hunger: psyllium husk mixed with water, or grape juice diluted in water - 30 mins before a meal. I'll let you know when I try!

And I'm also not weighing myself.

I also pop in a Paul McKenna dvd now and again and find him as inspirational and motivating as ever.  For mind-set, Paul really teaches how to keep the focus on what we want...and not what "is."

I'm using my pedometer again.  So motivating.  Every step...equals a new success.

ALL IN ALL: It's more about maintaining self control, and finding sustainable balance in my diet, and life.

Remember: Self control is a gift!  Thank you, God!!!!


Common Sense Approach
The more I stay connected to God, take "Good Orderly Direction" and control my diet and exercise....the WEIGHT will take care of itself....

   

FINALLY, A DELICIOUS RAW RECIPE FOR YOU!!
Here's that dressing from my lunch salad.  It was SO GOOD, I'd consider making it....as a SOUP!!!


RAW VEGAN CILANTRO CASHEW DRESSING
pic from www.heckagoodrecipes.blogspot.com
In Vitamix:

  • 3/4 cup cashews
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro
  • 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice 
Blenderize until smooth.  Terrific over a romaine salad!  Delish!!!!

Hope you try this recipe and enjoy!!!

Keep in touch!

xoxoxo
Raw Chef Michelle Joy

No comments: